Search This Blog

Thursday 26 January 2012

interesting symbolism

Did you know that the Australian white cockatoo is one of the Aboriginal totems that aboriginal children are given during their childhood, or possibly at birth I'm unsure? I just wondered one day what the white cockatoo might symbolize because I am particularly fond of this bird, I for some reason had the impression that it is a chatterbox, just like me! Anyway the meaning behind the totem is "communication" so if I ever had an aboriginal totem I would love it to be the australian white cockatoo! If you wish to read more go here:
http://www.kuracca.com/creative.php?cat=2
Another interesting symbol that I was interested in was that behind the common crow or raven. I looked it up on google because I seemed to be seeing them everywhere. To be fair they are quite a common bird, however an interest grew in me. So I wished to challenge the common superstition that crows or ravens are bad or evil omens, and even connected to "witchcraft" in the mediaeval days.  What I found was quite interesting. The crow or raven from one perspective can be a symbol of the sacred laws, or whatever you wish to call it, sort of like a moral policeman. Also that it is a power animal, and if we meditate on the crow and how it relates to ourselves we may find that we can see ourselves in a way that transcends one-dimensional thinking and the laws of nature. Also to appreciate the multiple dimensions of reality and our own identities, to trust our intuition and personal integrity. I found this to be highly interesting!
You can read more here:
http://www.shamanicjourney.com/article/6033/crow-power-animal-symbol-of-sacred-law-change
I've become interested in butterflies and their symbolism too :) They are such a beautiful animal, and I became curious if there was any symbolism connected to them. So once again I googled it, and this is what I found. Across many cultures the butterfly symbolizes the soul, and sometimes the departed soul. The process of metamorphosis in the butterfly and the connection to the soul can be explained to symbolize the theorized cycle that souls go through, life and death and so on. The ancient Greeks saw the way the butterfly flits from flower to flower constantly as symbolic of how the mind 'flits' from subject to subject never truly at rest. Also the butterfly goes through the biggest change in its life cycle, compared to any other animal around. This could be a symbol for how as humans our personalities, our ways of thinking go through enormous change throughout our lifetime, and that we should keep faith as we change. I found all of these explanations very intriguing.
If you'd like to find out more, just google it! :)
Have a lovely day!



No comments:

Post a Comment